Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Call to Papers progression

Ever had that sudden inspiration from a movie hit you?  Every now and then it hits me like a wall, and it becomes all I can think of.  On Friday night I watched Oblivion, and it is still like a drug to my brain, the end credits song has been my go to song for quite a few tasks, and I think it even affected what call to paper ideas that I gravitated to.  I chose the call to papers of Progressing Technology, and the Force of Fiction.  Both I think followed my love of science fiction, and the realm of creating things from ideas that are already in existence.


If you are in need of an interesting song, check it out, but I think the end credits had such a profound effect on me, because it also worked in some cartography parts, mapping out the world of the movie, and I had a nerd moment.  I'm pretty bad when it comes to things like that.  It just shows how much effort went into the idea of a story, and I have to say that I'm a little jealous that I don't even want to try things like that.


I guess the main reason for this post is to track the progress of my drafts of the call to papers, though this inspiration is definitely a part of this progress.
To start out, I really just stuck to the Murray cards, which were kind of like my first rough draft, my laziness at rethinking an idea coming out full stream.  I liked the idea anyway, so why fix something that clearly works?  To help connect the different ideas, and writings I added in some filler sentences, connecting my ideas on technology.  For finalizing I re-checked the actual call to paper, and made sure I followed what they were asking.  This one had less to log, but that was mostly because I had technically already done it, so there wasn't much to report on.


For the second call to paper, I did my own, The Force of Fiction.  I just love fiction, and while I really want to get it known for influencing the world around you, there's also this lighter side, another version of the truth is probably a good way to describe fiction basically.



Since I didn't start a set of Murray cards on the Force of Fiction draft, it took some time to start, because while I made the call to paper, I hardly remembered what I had asked for.  Long weekends breed horrible memory, and this was just one of those things that decided to be forgotten.  Once I figured out what I exactly had asked for, I created a sentence to start off with.  Of course that sentence would describe fiction as part of my lifestyle.  I'm seriously heading down that nerd hole when it comes to my writing, if my obsession with Oblivion doesn't already show my nerd tendencies.  



To end my progress report, I think I stuck with my gut on this one, and didn't try to do it on Oblivion.  Instead I did Lord of the Rings, which has had a much longer lasting effect on me.  I grew up with it, I learned from it, and it's one of those things I connect with my dad with.  It's a classic to put it simply.  Boromir just seems to get to me when I think of the trilogy, and the lesson he represents was definitely something I could talk about for the call to paper.  That's what I love about fiction, characters aren't just random people.  They're life lessons, and above all else, they're your mistake makers.  You learn from their mistakes, so that you can seem that much more flawless in real life.  The fact that it's entertaining is just an amazing bonus.



To end it, I think in all, Oblivion really did help me with prepping for these drafts.  It's music, and art was just impressive on all accounts, and it quickly became my muse for my creative work this week.

All pictures and video owned/copyrighted by Universal Pictures, Monolith Pictures, Chernin Entertainment, Relativity Media, and Radical Studios.

No comments: