Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Reflecting on the Toyhack (Fiction and Science)

This make was a little different for me.  It definitely took me a while to come up with an idea that I could use with toys representing it.  The inspirations were harder to pinpoint than last time, because it spanned over several weeks, even a week before the actual make.  Here's a list of some of the media I went through that helped me come up with this idea:





Books/Authors/Characters
-Boromir (Lord of The Rings)  I think the whole growth he had just when he was dying teaches the reader that they should have an open mind, instead of being so heavy handed with your own opinions.
-Frodo (Lord of the Rings)  Don't wish to get away so much.  Live in the moment.
-Tolkien
-Galdoni by Cheree Alsop:  Her Galdoni people inspired the idea for the clone fight, and people being forced into a life by other humans.
-Insurgent/Divergent by Veronica Roth:  These books brought the idea of too much power, and losing part of ones humanity to mind.  Her thoughts on how when Tris had to shoot a gun she had to lose herself in order to do it.
-Rebirth by Me (Lauren Price)  With Nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month) coming up in November, I've been thinking more and more about my own series, trying to decide what to do with it.  That said, it's no surprise it inspired part of the toy hack.

Songs
-Laura Palmer by Bastille
-Pompeii by Bastille
-My kind of love by Emeli Sande
-Things We lost in the Fire by Bastille
-Lost in the Echo by Linkin Park
-Castle of Glass by Linkin Park
-117 from Halo 4 soundtrack

All of these songs had a profound effect on my writing in Rebirth, and scene ideas, so in the long run it affected the make too.

Movies
-Gladiator
-The Fellowship of the Ring

Video Games
-Halo 3 Odst
-Halo 4

Other Videos
-Trailer of Divergent
-MV of Divergent: Laura Palmer

The only difficulty that occurred during the make were the speech bubble apps, which I went through three or four before finding one that would let me insert more than one bubble without a fee.  Not really a difficulty, but a hindrance that happened during the last scene was my cat knocking over the legos, because he was hungry, and figured that was the only way I was going to feed him.  My brother on the other hand, was happy to help since it was his lego sets I was using.  That's probably why I chose legos over any other toy, because we had an abundance of them, and they are better at portraying some of the emotions I wanted to get across.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am interested in how much inspires you. I have realized that I haven't been seeking out this kind of motivational and conceptual aid that appears to be working really well for you. I will try to draw from more inspirations for our next make as i feel it will be very beneficial.

Kayla Vazquez said...

I really like that you use fiction as your inspiration. I like that you also had songs that inspired your idea. I think it's a rather interesting take on the toy hack.

Unknown said...

i find it cool that you were able to take some characters from movies and give little life lessons in them.