Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Dreamworld

There's a concept of an idea I've been thinking about ever since I figured out the name of this blog.  When is it bad to dream?  When have we gone too far, and it begins to hinder us?  I say I want to be an author, and I get a few laughs from the person I said it to.  Do they not believe me?  Did it seem funny?  In a world where the publishing industry is choosing to go digital, I stick with my paperback and hardback books, dreaming of a world where they can't disappear.

I think that for many, some goals seem too high to even ponder on.  J.K. Rowling was living off the government when she was writing Harry Potter, and don't get me started on the life of an artist.  They are paid almost nothing, and as if a miracle has hit the world, people go out and buy their stuff.  The only thing is, it can't help that starving artist anymore, they're kind of dead.  The dreamers get hurt by the non-believers.  It's a fact that's sort of out there.  What kid hasn't been told, "sure, you can do that," in a sarcastic tone?  I know I've gotten it.  I'm okay with people not wanting to believe me, but it's the ones that try to tell you it isn't possible that make me upset.  They tell you it can't be done, and to boot some people just try to discourage you overall.  To get to the point, why are some so bent on not believing in something?  To dream is to think of a better future, a point where you are truly happy, so why do they object to someone finding that destination?  I realize some kids dream of being some pretty wild stuff, but support the idea of their dream, they're still innocent, or better yet, just give them something to be proud of themselves for.  Who knows, maybe that dreaming kid reading a book just might be the next J.R.R. Tolkien.  I know I want to be given the support, and backing necessary to write a series, because honestly, it isn't the easiest task to complete.

Sorry if this sounded like a rant, it just crossed my mind.  If this made an impression on any of you, you can comment, though if it's only anger, please just hold back for me.  I think this post was mainly to address my idea of dreaming, dreaming for me is essential to how I write and create.

No comments: